Sunday, February 10, 2008

The Reluctant Fundamentalist

Author: Moshin Hamid
Challenge: Most Notables Challenge
Date Finished: February 2, 2008
Rating: 4.5/5

"Power comes from becoming change." - Page 97

After reading this work of fiction by Hamid I honestly believe that he set out to write a work of art that would stimulate discussion and through discussion, change. And although the change effectuated by the readers of this novel remains to be seen, I think the author succeeded in stimulating discussion about the ideas and viewpoints stated by the narrator of the story. Personally, the political views expressed at times angered me...heck what can I say, I'm an American and proud to be just that. But that very anger caused me to rant and my rant opened up many discussions I had with not only those who had read the book, but even just those wanting to discuss the politics of it.

The novel itself is a piece of art and a wonderful experience that is a bit different from the norm. The story is told in the form of a conversation, but the reader only hears what the narrator is saying. The only clues as to the American's response to what is being discussed is Changez's (the narrator) verbal response to those actions. The novel moves at a fast pace and is long enough to tell the story, but not so long as to become tedious in its views. What a wonderful work of art.

No comments: